02 October 2013

Orange circles

A couple of weeks ago, I read on The Printed Fabric Bee Facebook page about an exchange of hand-printed fabric between a group of surface design artists. Each month, one person chooses a theme. The first one is orange circles.

I decided that this might be a fun thing to do myself: to create a piece of patterned fabric each month, using The Printed Fabric Bee themes. That way, I would be challenged to creatively use colours and shapes I might not have normally tried.


This is my orange circles piece - I love how it looks!

To create it, I used a piece of fabric that I had previously folded and hand-dyed to make a grid pattern. I overlaid the fabric with one of my glue-gun stencils and used one of my wonderful Derwent Inktense Blocks and water to colour circles.


This is my glue-gun stencil. I made it earlier this year (I wrote an article about my glue-gun stencils in issue 11 of Down Under Textiles magazine) and it was perfect for this purpose. I will put a tutorial about making glue-gun stencils on my blog later.

Now I'm keen to stitch this fabric to make a wholecloth textile work. So exciting! Thank you to The Printed Fabric Bee for the impetus.

4 comments:

  1. Love your circles! So glad you've decided to play along with us. This will be a fun year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting process with beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your results and the process. I may also follow the Facebook Group as you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fabric is amazing. I'm following along with them too but I probably won't get to each one. Fun to play!
    Diane in NH

    ReplyDelete

Make me happy - please leave a comment!

(No anonymous comments, thanks.)